International name – Vitamin D, antirachitic vitamin, ergocalciferol, cholecalcefirol, viosterolol, sunshine vitamin. Chemical name – ergocalciferol (vitamin D2) or cholecalciferol (vitamin D3), 1,25 (OH) 2D (1alpha, 25-dihydroxyvitamin D) .
Vitamin D Helps maintain healthy bones, keeping them strong and strong. Responsible for healthy gums, teeth, and muscles. Essential for maintaining cardiovascular health helps prevent dementia and improves brain function.
What is vitamin D?
Vitamin D is a fat-soluble substance necessary for the mineral balance in the body. There are several forms of vitamin D, the most studied and the main forms important for humans is cholecalciferol which is produced when sunlight comes into contact with our skin. It can also be obtained from some animal sources. (vitamin D3, which is synthesized by the skin under the influence of ultraviolet rays) and ergocalciferol which is produced by plants. (vitamin D2 is found in some foods). When combined with regular exercise, proper nutrition, calcium, and magnesium, they are responsible for the formation and maintenance of healthy bones. Vitamin D is also responsible for the absorption of calcium in the body. In combination, they help prevent and reduce the risk of bone fractures. It is a vitamin that has a positive effect on muscle health and also protects against diseases such as rickets and osteomalacia.
Vitamin D Deficiency Symptoms
Severe deficiency of vitamin D causes rickets, which appears in children as an incorrect growth pattern, muscle weakness, bone pain, and joint deformity. This happens very rarely. However, children who are deficient in vitamin D may have muscle weakness or sore throat, and sore muscles.
- Fatigue (Tiredness without hard work.)
- bone pain.
- Muscle weakness, muscle aches, or muscle cramps.
- Mood changes, like depression.
- Weakness in muscles.
- Sleep more than necessary during the day.
- Many people do not see these symptoms clearly, but they may still be deficient in vitamin D, which can cause many health problems.
- Frequent infections also decrease vitamin D deficiency. In fact, the important part of our immune system i.e. immunity is activated properly by “T-Cells” Vitamin D. And its deficiency can make a person sick again and again.
- Problems related to repeated breathing can also be a symptom of vitamin D deficiency.
What problems does vitamin D deficiency Cause?
Vitamin D deficiency can decrease bone density, which can contribute to osteoporosis and fractures (broken bones).
Severe vitamin D deficiency can also lead to other diseases. In children, it can cause rickets. Rickets is a rare disease. People with rickets may have weak and soft bones, stunted growth, and in severe cases, skeletal deformity.
In adults, severe vitamin D deficiency leads to osteomalacia. Osteomalacia causes weak bones, bone pain, and muscle weakness.
Researchers are studying vitamin D for possible connections to several medical conditions, including
Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes, hypertension, cancer, autoimmune conditions such as multiple sclerosis. They need to be further researched before understanding the effects of vitamin D on these conditions.
What causes vitamin D deficiency?
If you avoid sunlight too much, do not like to drink milk, and are also a pure vegetarian, then you may be deficient in vitamin D. Let us understand the causes of vitamin D deficiency:
- You do not get enough exposure to sunlight.
- You do not get enough vitamin D in your diet.
- Your liver or kidneys cannot convert vitamin D into its active form in the body.
- if your kidney is not able to convert vitamin D to its active form. As people age, the kidney’s ability to convert vitamin D to active form decreases, and the risk of vitamin D deficiency increases.
Vitamin D Deficiency Treatment
Spending time in the sun- rays released from the sun produce vitamin D from our skin. Therefore, if we spend some time in our daily routine living between the rays of the sun, vitamin D deficiency can be easily and naturally overcome.
Taking a Vitamin D Rich Diet- To overcome vitamin D deficiency, you should take such things in vitamin D is found. Such as-
- Fatty fish such as salmon, tuna, and mackerel
- Beef liver
- Egg yolks
- Breakfast cereals
- Orange juice
- dairy products, such as yogurt
- Soy drinks
Vitamin D supplements – vitamin D deficiency, treatment may include oral ergocalciferol (vitamin D2) at 50,000 IU per week for eight weeks. and cholecalciferol (vitamin D3) at 800 to 1,000 IU per day .
Your doctor can tell you exactly how much and for how many days you should take vitamin D supplements.
2 thoughts on “Vitamin D deficiency: Symptoms, Causes and Treatment”
Pingback: Avocado: Benefits, Uses, and Side Effects - Newmaacare
Pingback: Olive Oil: Benefits, Uses, and Side Effects - Newmaacare